Saturday, April 13, 2019

LCA's 1Q19 review ($INS, $CTEK, $QRHC)

I posted LCA's 1Q19 results on my website here. It includes brief discussions of three portfolio holdings: INS, CTEK and QRHC. As I wrote in the email that went out ... 

"Cumulative returns on accounts managed by Long Cast Advisers increased 20% in 1Q19, net of applicable fees. This was better than the baseline market indices. Returns for separate accounts managed by LCA ranged from 17% to 26% for the quarter. 

Since inception three years ago, LCA has returned a cumulative 96% net of fees, or 22% CAGR, ahead of the baseline market indices. Because our portfolio is comprised of just a handful of typically very small businesses, it is expected that returns will vary considerably from the baseline.

High returns certainly brings a lightness to the step but a strong quarter like this is really a cautionary tale on small sample sizes, the marginal impact of outlying events and the ability for anyone to look smart doing something right just once in every while. To me, it just illustrates why investors need focus on process, experience, differentiation and repeatability."

If I can simplify what I've learned in my first three years running a growing investment mgmt firm ...

you gotta pick the right stocks
you gotta own them at the right weighting
you gotta find clients who appreciate your worldview
you gotta have enough assets to make it all meaningful
and you gotta manage the administrative burden with an eye on time and costs

... it's complicated but the effort to get it right is energizing. 


It remains my desire to grow LCA thoughtfully and incrementally with just a handful of new clients per year. If you would like to talk about my process, experience, differentiation or repeatability, please drop me a line. I very much appreciate those that have and the partnerships made along the way. 

-- END --

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PAST HISTORY IS NO GUARANTEE OF PRIOR RETURNS. THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION FOR BUSINESS NOR A RECOMMENDATION TO BUY OR SELL SECURITIES. I HAVE NO ASSURANCES THAT INFORMATION IS CORRECT NOR DO I HAVE ANY OBLIGATION TO UPDATE READERS ON ANY CHANGES TO AN INVESTMENT THESIS IN THE COMPANIES MENTIONED HERE, WHICH I MAY OWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment